Sunday, June 8, 2008

Day Two - Whirlwind Tour of Edinburgh

Wow! This city is so AMAZING! I could spend years here! There is so much to see and do. But actually, my favorite part isn't sightseeing at the famous tourist attractions, but wandering around the city. Edinburgh is huge, however the old and new towns seem relatively small and there is so much to see within these two sections that Anja and I have not needed to venture out beyond them. In fact, old town is where Anja and I have spent a majority of our time strolling up and down the Royal Mile. This morning, after starting our day with an egg and sausage roll (sooooo good and really cheap), Anja and I met at the Royal Mile Starbucks (they have one on every corner so I feel right at home) for our free walking tour of Edinburgh that comes as part of our hostel package. I have been on many tours, but I have to say that this was one of the best. I don't know how it can possibly be free. The company says that they want tourists on all budgets to be able to experience the beauty of the city (and of course tips are welcome...but not required). If any of you are planning to visit Europe, check out "New Europe Tours" online and see if they have any in a city you want to see. After our crash course in Sir Walter Scott, Deacon Brodie, Greyfriars Bobby, and other Edinburgh notables, Anja and I made our way to the Palace of Holyrood House. This is the Queen's Scottish residence. It was awesome. We ended our day at the Castle. Because the castle closes early on Sundays, I was told that I would only have 45 minutes to see 2 hours worth of castle sights. I was a little upset at first, however I finished my tour of the castle in less time than I had, plus I got some amazing photos of the city from the top. Tomorrow, Anja and I head off to Glasgow. We are a little sad to be leaving such a wonderful city like Edinburgh, but are excited for new adventures. Plus I definitely plan on coming back here...maybe a study abroad program at the University here. Who knows. That's all for now, T

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi cutie, Dad finally got us on to your blog. I keep missing your phone calls! You called while we were in church and then I didn't even think about turning my cell phone back on after church. I am hitting myself over the head with the Sunday paper for missing your call again........ (It is softer than anything else around here.) Sounds like you are having a wonderful time and we couldn't be happier for you. Keep taking lots of photos. Tell Anja hello from us. Lots of people at church say hi and are praying for you both. I had to go see Madison this afternoon so that I could get my hug bank filled up. Tons of love from Mom and Dad and Molly.

June 8, 2008 at 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Taylor:
I went to church with your parents.
Your Dad is waxing my car. It is pretty quiet here without you. I think I love Scotland more than anywhere. Way back in 1984, I took the train from London to Inverness (the best fish and chips ever). I toured Loch Ness, but Nessie wasn't home. I even took a ferry to the Isle of Skye to look for my favorite rock star (Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull). It was so quiet, I could hear the gulls landing on the sea from the bed and breakfast.
Have you had the traditional english breakfast? Eggs, ham and bacon and sausage!
Took the train to Glasgow, (a bit more industrial had a boat ride to Ireland and back, then the train through Wales, and back to London.

That was my blab.

I am sorry I missed your graduation ceremony, but I figured you had alot of family there already. Dad and I went canoeing. I try to spend as much time with him as I can, although he doesn't talk very much, and can barely hear. I can not tell you how proud I am of you, and love to brag about you. Maybe you can sell me some of your awards when you don't need them anymore.

Cheerio,
Anut Nancy

June 8, 2008 at 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad we finally got to talk. It made my heart very happy. Thinking about you often and loving you all the time. Tootaloo, Mom

June 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taylor,

It so great to talk with you today! Glad you're having such a wonderful time. (Maybe its in your Scottish Blood) We are very proud of you and your sef reliance. Lots of folks are praying for you.

You Go Girl!

Dad

June 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger jaime said...

hey cupcake, wow it seems like you are just having a blast over there! The way you are describing everything makes me kinda jealous:) but oh well I might just have to plan a trip over there now and see the beauty for myself. Just like your mom said take tons of pics because I want to know every detail. Miss you tons back here!! ttyl xoxo

June 10, 2008 at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home