
Anja and I left our wonderful B&B in York for Oxford this morning. On the train to Oxford, we picked the "Quiet Zone" coach (actually this was unintentional) but I was excited because it would give me a good chance to sleep. The lady behind us, though, did not seem to realize that the coach was supposed to be quiet since she talked loudly nonstop to her friend all 3 hours we were in the train carriage. Her favorite subject was kidney disease and she gave a brilliant commentary on bananas and how they can flush salt out of your system. Her friend couldn't even get a word in edgewise and she, and the rest of the train which kept giving the lady dirty looks, spent the next 3 hours listening to her opinions on Southampton, Brockhurst, cows, and train safety procedures. Anja and I almost went crazy and when we pulled into Oxford Station, we sprinted off the train. Oxford was a welcome relief. After stowing our luggage with a hostel near the train station, Anja and I set off in search of the home of our two favorite authors (mine is Oscar Wilde and hers is CS Lewis.) We took pictures in front of Magdalene College (pronounced Maud-lin) which is where the two men attended school. Actually, there are many colleges and universities in Oxford, but Anja and I both happened to be in search of the same one. We also met two nice guys from Texas A&M who were also looking for CS Lewis and Magdalene. It was nice talking to them (no I did not leave the main streets or give them any personal info, mom...haha) and it was fun to see some people from home...well sort of from home. After a fun afternoon in Oxford, Anja and I made our way to London Paddington Station and then to our hostel. Tomorrow we will spend the day in Dover (which about 1 1/2 hours away) and then the weekend will be spent in London. Chris: Anja and I do miss you, you just hadn't written me a message yet so no complaining. Craigery: It was awesome to hear from you! Hope your senior trip was amazing! Thanks for all the comments everybody! Anja and I send a big hello from England! Until next time.....
3 Comments:
Loved your post. Good girl - not leaving the main streets or giving out personal info to the two Texas A&M guys (or so they say they were from Texas A&M - but who were they really........). The train ride sounds like the trip hilarious travel books are made of. Good job. Have lots of fun in London. Lots of hugs - Mom
I feel better now. Thanks
It was so nice to talk with you this morning (Friday) from the White Cliffs of Dover. I remember along time ago when we read Marco Polo's account of the Great Wall and thinking how wonderful it would be to see it. Then a year later I was standing on the Great Wall and the experience was incredible. Now to have you visit so many of the places we read about when we homeschooled is fantstic. Keep snapping those pics so I can live vicariously through them. Have a blast in London tomorrow and Sunday. Eat some fish and chips for me. Ooooodles of love, Mom
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home