Friday, June 13, 2008

The White Cliffs of Dover

Ever since I was a little girl (that makes me sound old when I'm not haha) reading all of those thousands of books, I'd always wanted to visit the white cliffs of Dover. When Anja and I boarded the train this morning for our short day journey, I was a little nervous. I had really high expectations for what I thought Dover would be like - which is never good since usually places don't look anything like the pictures on brochures or in your imagination. When Anja and I first glimsped the English Channel we were so excited! As we pulled into Dover, which is sort of a dumpy little town (think of any touristy beach town) with lots of little dumpy shops and restaurants, Anja and I weren't sure what to expect. After stopping at the tourist office and grabbing a brochure which said something about a walk along the cliffs, we made our way down to the sea. (Yes, mom and dad, Anja and I "dipped a toe" in the English Channel haha). We then saw signs pointing to the entrance to the cliff walk. Anja and I climbed and climbed and climbed and finally we were on top of the cliffs.....WOW!!!!! The top of the cliffs is wild rolling green hills like you would imagine the Irish countryside to be. The walk cuts its way through them and then right along the cliffs - good thing Anja and I aren't afraid of heights! The views are amazing. Anja and I agreed that Edinburgh may be our favorite city, but nothing can beat Dover and the English Channel. We took hundreds of pictures. Wish you all could have been there with us, because as great as the pictures turned out, they are nothing like the real thing. Tomorrow, Anja and I tackle London and the infamous Tube. We shall see what happens. Looking forward to new adventures....T

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!Mom

June 13, 2008 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

Sounds like your having a great time. Not that I doubted that you would.

I just got back from outdoor school, so this was the first time I got to hear about all your adventures.

Outdoor School. Well, its over and as usual the first words that come to mind are "Drama, drama, and more drama." There were quite a few interesting developments though. Lol.

Enjoy London.
Audrey

June 13, 2008 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger jaime said...

Wow Tay, it sounds like you are having such a blast over there! If those White Cliffs of Dover look like Ireland I can just imagine how beautiful and breathtaking they are. Man you are going to be a professional photographer by the time you are done with your trip with all the pictures your taking, you just might have to change your major lol :) Mom and I just got back from our little trip to Long beach we had such a blast there for a couple days, it was so nice to get away. The weather was wonderful, so much so that I managed to get a sunburn...ouch! Okay, I cant wait to hear all about London now!!! ttyl Jaime

June 14, 2008 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger TC said...

Audrey! I think you need to send me an email!

Jamie love! At least you are in the sun. England is cold, wet, and rainy! When I get home you are going to be all tan and I will still be pasty white. sigh. Thanks for your comments!

June 14, 2008 at 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taylor,

Love your Blogs! It's great hearing about your adventures. I loved hearing about the chatty lady on the train.

We just got back from out Sat am walk. Molly is always a star at the Farmer's Market. She misses you.

Local news: It's been sunny and warmer (all the way to the 70's wow) Gas is still going up. It's about $4.20/gal. We're finally going to get the plants in out front today. I'm doing communion tomorrow.

Glad you're having fun. Love ya,

Dad

June 14, 2008 at 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home