Saturday, June 14, 2008

London Schmondon: Do you want to take the tube to Pilladicky?

Today was in a word: long....and as I write this, it is only 6:30pm. As I reflect back on the day, from my nice comfortable chair where I am sitting trying to apologize to my sore feet and back, parts of the day were great and other parts weren't. Anja and I were a little tired when we woke up this morning...I guess that's a side effect of hardcore travelling. Anyway we started the day at Piccadilly Circus or as I accidently and tiredly called it: Pilladicky. From there we went to the famous Notting Hill (no stars in sight) and walked through the Portobello Road market. I had wanted to see the market because some friends had said it was pretty darn awesome and it is featured in one of my favorite childhood movies: Bedknobs and Broomsticks. When Anja and I got to the Portobello Road market, it was packed. I don't think I have ever been packed in with that many people. Most of the people were pretty rude too because they were all trying to shove their way to different sides of the street. It was alot different than I had imagined....there definitely weren't any Walt Disney people dancing and singing among the stalls haha. Anyway, from there Anja and I took a walk through Kensington Gardens and then ended up in Hyde Park. Most people don't usually walk through both because it is a long ways to go, but Anja and I had no idea where we were going so we accidently went much much further than expected. We did find the statue of Peter Pan and the Pond where JM Barrie wrote his play. Then it was on to the famous St. Paul's Cathedral. Also not exactly what I had expected...and I have to mention that I always manage to visit famous sites during the weeks they are renovating or doing some sort of construction. Oh well. Anja and I had thought to make our way to the famous Tower of London where many notables such as Anne Boleyn have been executed, but they are also doing significant construction on the Tube and after the miles that we had walked through London's various parks, Anja and I didn't think we could face the confusing surface streets of London. So we opted for a nice cup of tea and the safety of our hostel. Bed actually sounds pretty good right about now. Anyway, tomorrow we plan to visit Hillsong church, Covent Garden, Baker Street (the home of Sherlock Holmes...shout out to Craig haha), Big Ben, Evensong at Westminster Abbey, the Parliament Buildings, Trafalger Square, the Wellington Arch, and if we have time we might attempt the Tower again. Gotta go rest up, T

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember what your parents have always said about vacations. The time to sleep is when you get home. Sweet Dreams to you and your tootsies Taylor. xoxoxoxoxoxox Mom

June 14, 2008 at 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taylor you go girl we are enjoying your reports here on 24th street,


Ken&Johanna

June 14, 2008 at 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home