Friday, June 20, 2008
Today was a baking day. I have a Josiah Venture meeting tomorrow at Joel and Amy Woodard's house and I need to bring a dessert. Also, I found out that Anja's family LOVES American chocolate chip cookies so as a thank you for letting me stay here, I decided to make some. I'm pretty good at baking and I've made both the cookie and the cake recipes many times. This should be easy right?....wrong. All of the measurements are completely different here. We would say a cup of butter, they would say 262 grams. Luckily, Amy Woodard offered to let me borrow her measuring cups and spoons....without them I probably would have ended my day of baking in disaster. I went to turn on the oven, it is celsius instead of fahrenheit. I asked for brown sugar, they gave me massive sugar crystals haha. I asked for a spatula and got completely lost in translation. A simple recipe turned into a complicated adventure. But no matter for the cookies turned out just fine and what is a few crunchy brown sugar crystals among friends? I am definitely seeing a different side of life here, though, from what I normally experience at camp. And while these challenges in no way diminish my love for Slovenia, I am reminded that full time ministry here is not easy. Congrats to Joel and Amy and all the other awesome missionaries for doing so well. I expected big things, like language and culture to be different, however it is the simple things which are ending up being difficult. Well, there is a storm outside so I must shut off the computer now. Later, T


7 Comments:
I'm positive your cookies turned out great! I'm glad you got to experience all of that. Usually it is the little things in living here that add up in big ways to be sources of irritations. Watching our students grow closer to the Lord though, make eating "strange" chocolate chip cookies completely worth it! There are days though... ; )
Hi cutie, When I was typing out the recipe to send to you, each time I put down a measurement or the temp of the oven I was thinking that this might not translate over there. But then again I know you are very resourceful and you figured it out. Good girl. I am sure they loved your effort no matter what. Did you make the cake?
Good learning lesson though. Each time you learn a little more about what life is like for someone else, like our missionaries, you grow inside. Sometimes it is difficult walking in someone elses shoes for a while. Funny too. Have a delightful day. Sending ooooooooooooooodles of Love. Mom
It is later in the afternoon. It has been a very nice warm day today. I am missing you.......Dad is waterskiing so I am going to pick up Darci and we are going to take the max downtown and eat dinner at Habibi. Loving you tons and tons and tons and tons......You get the picture. Mom
lol! I didnt think anyone else knew about Habibi! Your mom just moved up on the coolness scale!
Oh and yay for cookies and good times and all that jazz! See you in a few days!
Hey Chris, I have always been cool. Habibi is only one of many of my coolnesses. And by the way dinner was fantastic. Tootaloo, Vonn (Taylor's Mom).
Just caught up on your blog and the comments, quite entertaining. I am very much looking forward to seeing in person, Taylor, but will miss your take on things and the prospective comments. Kitty
CHRISTOPHER!!! You like Lebanese food? Why did I not know this? We have wasted tons of hanging out time!
And actually mom, the cake is probably the best of that recipe that I've made. It just looks a little flat because I had to use a giant pan since that is what they have here haha. But it still tastes great.
And thanks for the comments Amy and Kitty! See my team soon!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home