Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year from Kranj, Slovenia!

Last night at 7pm, Kathy and I went over to Trdna Skala (the youth center) to start setting up for the big New Year's party that we were hosting. Students began to arrive at 8pm. We played fusball, board games, watched movies, (the boys) played video games, and hung out with one another. At 10 minutes to midnight, we all bundled up and braved the extreme cold by trekking up to the square to count down (I forgot it would be in Slovene haha), watch fireworks, and wish each other Happy New Year! It was so much fun. There were probably about 10-15 of us that attempted to pull an all nighter (I fail every time!), and lots of students dropping in throughout the night for a quick "hello."
We got pretty competitive playing fusball.
Nejc attempts to take on Klemen (on right) at chess. Klemen however is rediculously good at everything he does so Nejc had no chance whatsoever.
Nastja, Ana, and me hanging out at the party!
We lit sparklers to celebrate.
The Slovenes LOVE....I repeat....LOVE fireworks. And with all their good qualities, they are not particularly safety concious. Half the time in the square was spent avoiding runaway firecrackers from people who do not seem to understand the concept that fireworks are meant to go up, not sideways! Fireworks have actually been going off since I got here, and Kathy and I almost got attacked in our neighborhood while walking back from coffee....once again, fireworks are meant to go UP! haha. Hope you all had a wonderful celebration. Here's to a brand new year, T
PS I have added 3 more posts today on Paris and London as well. Each post will only let me add five pictures at a time so that is why I did 3 and not one big one...more pics to come as soon as dad uploads them. =D

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures Taylor!!
Glad you have some fireworks intelligence and kept safe! Sounds like you had a fantastic New Year! You do a great job with your blog and thanks for showing pictures! I may begin taking down the tree soon! A funny story--The tree fell over on Duane the night after we put it up! Duane was sleeping on the couch! Richard Scobba came over and helped us put it back up and my brother and sis in law helped me redecorate it! Anxious to hear of your new learnings at school when you get there. Love ya, Dianne

PS Will make some biscotti for you when you get home-with my new kitchenaide mixer!!!!

January 3, 2009 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger TC said...

mmmm I can hardly wait for the biscotti. =D Funny tree story. Glad Duane is Ok haha.

-T

January 4, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home