Sunday, February 22, 2009

Konstanz, Germany; St. Gallen, Switzerland

Well I have finally gotten around to putting up pictures. The week goes by so fast what with Bible journals, tests, lectures, assignments, and just spending time with people. But now I have some time to blog a bit about my awesome travel weekend. Day One of travel weekend, four of us girls caught a bus to the nearby town of Meersberg where we caught a ferry to Konstanz, Germany. Susannah, Me, Jill, Amy
There is not a ton to see, however there is lots of shopping (which is something we don't really have in Fishbach) so we had a good time snooping in stores. There is also a really great coffee shop there and an English bookstore so it was a great trip.
Enjoying delicious coffee and cake at Aran
Day Two: We bused to Friedrichshafen and then took a ferry to Romanshorn, Switzerland. From Romanshorn, we hopped a train to St. Gallen, a city founded by an Irish monk in 612. The Abbey library is a UNESCO world heritage site and has manuscripts dating back to the 9th century. We were not allowed to take pictures inside the library, but if click this link, you can see photos on the abbey's website. It is worth it because the library is incredible! http://www.stiftsbibliothek.ch/site/content.asp?typ=Actual&lang=EN&art=w
St. Gallen: the abbey/cathedral The best part of the library was that we had to put on these giant gray slippers (which looked like misshapen cotton balls) over our shoes before walking on the wood floor. Because these slippers were so awkward we could not pick up our feet. Instead we had to shuffle or slide across the floor. The four of us girls had fun "skating" around the library, while the little Swiss woman (who was in charge of making sure we were not going to steal any important manuscripts from the Middle Ages) shuffled after us as fast as her little slippered feet could go. We girls were having lots of fun and I'm pretty sure we wore that poor little old lady out. Just about to eat Mexican food... Finally, because we were in Switzerland, we decided to eat....MEXICAN FOOD! Yes, we saw a sign for the Three Amigos Mexican restaurant, and like the American tourists that we are, we just had to go. Nachos never tasted so good haha. They did not have English menus so they gave us Spanish ones...which we all understood just fine haha. It was like being home. As for Bodenseehof, we just finished a set of lectures with Peter Reid and now are listening to Hans Peter Royer from Austria. He is super good so far. I will be in Leichtenstein next weekend. So excited. Talk to you all later, T

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally some info and pics. I was needing this update as I am sure many others were too. I want a pair of those fuzzy cotton ball slippers. I could be sliding around the kitchen crashing into the cupboards or if you sent your mom and dad a pair we could play bummper cars in the kitchen together. Although your dad is so big he might send me flying into the kitchen sink. I wouldn't like that. Well I will look forward to pictures of Leichtenstein as soon as you are able to post them. Glad you are having fun as well as learning lots. As always I am loving you tons and tons. Make a Difference! MOM

February 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taylor don,t let your mom kid you they would use the slipper's for dance class.It is great tohave the blog up to date again so we can see how much fun you are having

Ken.

February 23, 2009 at 5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taylor, Thanks for all the work of writing and putting the great pictures in your blog! We miss hearing about all your fun travels, friends and I especially love to hear about what you are learning. The library sounded wonderful--I agree with your Mom--those slippers look fun and warm. Were they boiled wool? I can just see my friend landing in the kitchen sink!!! Always look forward to hearing from you and some of those pictures of you and friends remind me of those little photo machines we used to all squeeze into. Imagine, Mexican food in Switzerland! Love ya, Dianne

February 23, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home